Samsung Stratosphere, Verizon’s own QWERTY beast has now received root submission. The procedure has been first developed on the famous ROOTZwiki website, where an eager member has cooked up a fairly easy guide, which will only require installing a couple of programs and using some ADB shell commands. As always, there are some bumps you need to get through but once you figure it out, the 4G LTE smartphone will bow to your every single desire. So, in the following lines we are going to root the Samsung Stratosphere in a couple of steps, by using a Verizon model running on pure Android 2.3.5 elixir.
Before we start, you must take in consideration that this guide is not made by our crew and that if something goes wrong, we cannot be held responsible. Make sure your battery is at a maximum level before starting and also that you got everything figured it out. Follow our lines as stated and do not stray away from the path.
Also, by rooting the Samsung Stratosphere you agree to permanently void the warranty, as a method of erasing the changes has yet to appear. If you have any questions do not hesitate to use our commenting form, but this is as much we can do to help you.
You are also going to have ADB set up and working, to make sure the commands will be pushed. You must not have data encryption turned on, by default being disabled. Also, instead of using ODIN for flash purposes, the developer suggested Heimdall, a tool usually used on Windows computers. Don’t worry, as we will install it below.
- Download and install Heimdall 1.3.1, using programs like WinRAR to extract the archive. If you are on Windows, make sure you also install the C++ redistributables or some steps will fail.
- Now shut the phone off and hold the “Volume -” key while starting it, until you see a prompt for flashing a custom ROM. Accept it and the phone will be in Download Mode.
- At this stage you must connect the phone to the computer. Those running on Windows must go to the Heimdall folder and navigate to Drivers. Now double click on zagig.exe and install all the needed drivers. When finished, restart the PC and then re-connect the phone.
- Download the Kernel and Root files and extract their contents inside the same Heimdall folder.
- Open the Terminal (command prompt for Windows users: press Start + R buttons and then type cmd.exe, followed by a swift Enter key ) and navigate to the Heimdall folder. For Windows users is something like “cd insertpathhere”.
- Now type “Heimdall detect” and hit Enter. If the phone is detected, type “heimdall flash –kernel root-zImage” and the device will reboot and then flash the custom kernel.
- Enable USB Debugging on the phone by navigating to Settings-> Applications -> Development.
- In the Command Prompt, type “adb devices” and if you see the phone listed remount it by typing “adb remount”.
- Now, type the following commands, each followed by an Enter key:
- adb push su /system/bin
- adb push busybox /system/bin
- adb push Superuser.apk /system/app
- adb shell chmod 4755 /system/bin/su
- adb shell chmod 4755 /system/bin/busybox
- That’s it. The Stratosphere should now be rooted. Give it a swift reboot to celebrate the relationship.