In this guide you will learn everything you need to know about the S-Off concept and how to gain it on an HTC Wildfire handset. In order to succeed, you will have to use the Revolutionary tool, but don’t worry, because you have it all explained in the steps below. The procedure is very simple, easy to follow and as you will see, you will be done before you know it. Also, this will be the last step before you will be able to install a custom ROM on the HTC Wildfire, such as CyanogenMod, so take it seriously.
The S-Off term is applied especially on HTC’s Android featured smartphones, meaning that the NAND portion of the device is unlocked and can be written to. As you can tell, when you buy a handset it has S-On so you can’t have full access to its system. It is your job to turn it off in order to change the phone’s default settings. As hard it may seem, in fact you will only have to install Revolutionary, which is a free program and that will be all. The software will do all the work while you will be relaxing on your chair.
But how can you tell if the HTC Wildfire has or not S-Off? Well, this is also an easy thing to do; just boot into HBOOT and read the messages that are on the display. You should get something like in the image:
After you will gain S-Off, Revolutionary will temporary root the HTC Wildfire and will install ClockworkMod Recovery too. All will be prepared for the big “change”. You will now have access to the phone’s system; you will be able to upload custom firmware images, unsigned boot, recovery, splash and HBOOT images. The device will be your playground.
All these are available thanks’ to the Revolutionary tool, which is an S-Off software from the developers of Unrevoked and AlphaRevX that brings you a one click S-Off solution for most HTC Android devices.
Before we begin with the proper how to guide there are some things you need to know. First, you will void your HTC warranty, so if you’re not comfortable with this you should probably stop here. Then, I recommend backing up the HTC Wildfire because the process might wipe the data out from the phone.
Finally, you will need to know what Hboot the HTC Wildfire has on it, along with the serial number of the device. In order to find it out, you need to boot into the bootloader by powering off the device and power back on by pressing the “Volume Down” button and the “Power” one simultaneously.
The serial number is found under the battery, it shouldn’t be a problem finding it. Also you will need a Windows running computer and an USB cord.
How to gain S-Off on HTC Wildfire
- Download and install the HTC Sync drivers.
- Fastboot must be disabled on the device. Just follow: Settings-> Power-> disable Fastboot.
- Settings-> Applications ->Development-> USB debugging for enabling USB debugging.
- Now, you can finally download Revolutionary 0.4pre4 (on the PC). Then follow the prompts in order to get a beta key.
- Connect the HTC Wildfire with the computer (via the USB cord).
- Run Revolutionary from the PC and enter the beta key obtained before (step 4).
- Let the software do its job (root, install ClockworkMod Recovery, turn S-Off) and don’t press anything. The process should take a few minutes.
- The phone will reboot on its own, so you will know when it is over.
If you encounter any kind of problem during the guide please share it with us, so we can help you through. As a final note, if the process takes longer than 15 minutes, reboot the device and attempt again; some handsets need to attempt gaining S-OFF multiple times before achieving success.
- How to gain S-Off on HTC Aria using the Revolutionary tool
- How to gain S-Off and install ClockworkMod Recovery on HTC Sensation with Revolutionary
- How to install CyanogenMod 7 on HTC Wildfire (CM7 guide)
- How to backup the HTC Wildfire data, apps, contacts and more
- How to gain S-Off and install ClockworkMod Recovery on HTC Desire S