As you may know, each time you choose to change or customize your phone’s software/operating system, your data might be wiped up. Therefore, it is very important to know how to properly backup the HTC Wildfire data, apps, contacts and everything else before you adventure in stuffs more complicated. Also, this is the first step to do if you are looking forward in installing custom ROMs such as CyanogenMod, so be shore you do it right. You have it all in the step-by-step guide below, the process being easy to follow and to complete.
In order to succeed with backing up the HTC Wildfire you will need to use some free apps from the Android Market, the SD card from your phone and the Android cloud. The cloud it’s also an app provided by Google and available on the same Market, being designed especially for the saving process. Anyway, in the steps, I have explained how to make the back up by the classic method (via the SD card) or by using the cloud, so you can choose which one you prefer the most. Don’t worry it is all safe, the procedure being similar with the one we have explained for other handsets, like the LG G2X, or HTC Incredible.
As I was saying in the introduction, knowing how to backup the HTC Wildfire data, apps and contacts is necessary if you want to install CyanogenMod, a custom ROM which will power up the phone’s performances and will offer you the possibility to customize its menu, theme, icons and so on, by your own taste.
Your personal data and recent applications can be saved to a PC or to a MAC too and you have it detailed in the steps from the guide below. Take a look and if anything goes wrong share the issues with us (in the comments are), so we can help you through.
How to backup the HTC Wildfire
Contacts and Calendar
The Contacts and Calendar data can be saved in two ways: by using the SD card or with the Android cloud we described above.
- For the first method follow:
- Go to the People application.
- Hit the Menu button.
- Tap on the Import/Export icon.
- Choose Export to SD card.
- After that you can transfer the files on your PC / MAC. To reverse, follow the same steps above and on the last part, choose Import from SD card and that’s it.
- For the Android cloud you must sync with Google:
Go to: Menu->Settings-> Accounts & sync; choose “Add account”; enter a valid Gmail address and then choose what you want to backup. Google Docs, Contacts, Gmail and Calendar will be available for you, so you can save whatever you want and need to.
The operating system will make a copy of your data and when you will want it back you will have to sync once more.
SMS / MMS messages and call logs
To save the SMS / MMS messages and call logs you will need to use a free app from the Android Market; so, download SMS Backup + by Jan Berkel. The software will use a separate label in Gmail/Google Calendar and allowing later restoration. You need to have IMAP enabled in Gmail and the correct time zone set.
Saving Market Apps
The perfect way to backup the apps you have from the Market is by using (download it) the Astro File Manager software; after you get it, follow:
- Open Astro.
- Press Menu.
- Tap on Tools.
- Select the Application Manager / Backup.
- Select the apps you want to save and click Backup.
- In order to restore them, install Astro again and follow the same steps. Then, click “Backed Up Apps” and choose what you want back on your HTC Wildfire.
Now, here you can use both the SD card and the PC/MAC, depending on your taste; copy/paste (drag and drop) the data you want to backup from the phone on the computer/MAC/SD card. When you want the data restored do exactly the same thing, but starting from the end (PC/SD card/ MAC->handset).
- How to backup the HTC Sensation data, apps, contacts and more
- How to backup the HTC Desire S data, apps, contacts and everything else
- How to backup the HTC Aria data, apps, contacts and more
- How to backup the HTC Incredible data, apps, contacts and more
- How to backup the HTC Legend data, apps, contacts and everything else