If you want to manually install CyanogenMod 7 on an HTC Incredible handset and you don’t know exactly how to do that, then this guide should be perfect for you. You have all you need to know, in order to succeed, explained and detailed below and as you will see, there will be a few steps that you must follow before you can complete the operation. The process is simple, easy to understand and to learn (in case you want to do it again), so you should be done in a few minutes.
As you may already know, installing custom ROMs, such as CyanogenMod 7, is an important operation, or more properly upgrade, for your HTC Incredible; why? Well, because in this way you will be able to change most of its settings. I bet that you will find appealing the new theme manager, the new icons and menu bar and the possibility of changing the default settings. Also, the phone will be your new playground as you will be able to personalize it by your one taste.
The best part is that CyanogenMod can be installed very quickly and easy. It is true that you need to have a rooted HTC Incredible to succeed, but this shouldn’t scare you. You can learn how to do that too, by checking our previous posts, where you have it all explained. Also, you need to know how to back up the phone, because the procedure will wipe the data out of it and it is bad to lose messages, data, apps and calendar information when you can just save and restore them afterwards.
CyanogenMod 7, or just CM7, it is a firmware that offers features not found in the official Android platform, being a free aftermarket distribution of Android 2.3 Gingerbread operating system. It is one of the most popular ROMs out there, offering many improvements and new features. CM7 is available only for Android powered handsets and you can install it without having any particular Google apps on the device because it is based on the Android Open Source Project.
Among the facilities that the ROM introduces I have to mention the tethering and overclocking ability, the improved reception and the faster UI. Beside these, you will be able to get apps from outside the Android Market as long as it is ending with the .apk extension, change the menu and the classics visual effects, such as the notification bar, the shortcuts, or the icons and so on.
What you need to know is that installing Cyanogen’s ROM will void your warranty, so if you don’t feel comfortable with this, you should stop here. Before you begin, make sure you have enough battery power to complete the process in order to avoid any kind of issues. After you get the tool, restoring the app, or making future backups will be much easier than it used to be; also you will be able to backup your older HTC system so you can revert, if you change your mind and want to use Nandroid.
That being told, I guess it is the time we start with the proper guide, so take a look and do exactly as in the steps.
How to install CyanogenMod 7 on HTC Incredible
- Download the latest version of CM; use the stable version and not the experimental one.
- Connect the phone with a computer via the USB cord.
- Copy the .zip file you just downloaded in the phone SD card’s root folder (from the computer).
- Boot into ClockWorkMod Recovery-> turn the phone off, press the power button while holding down the trackball button. ClockWorkMod Recovery is installed when you root the HTC Incredible.
- Select “Wipe data / factory reset”. You can move through the menu using the Volume keys and Power, to select the option.
- Type “Wipe cache partition”.
- Now, here choose “Install zip from SD card”; then “choose zip from SD card”. The .zip file downloaded should be in the list; just pick it.
- Once finished, select +++++Go Back+++++ to get back to the main menu.
- Select “Reboot system now”.
- The phone should now restart into CyanogenMod, meaning you are done.