In the how to guide below, you will be able to find everything you need to know in order to succeed with the manual installation of ClockWorkMod Recovery on an HTC EVO 4G (Sprint). The process is simple and easy to follow and it will only take a couple of minutes until you will be done with it. Also, you will find all the information needed so you can understand the benefits that CWM will bring on your handset. Unfortunately, you will be able to install it only if you have a rooted EVO, but if not, check our previous guide so you can learn how to do that too.
For those who are new in the “business” here is what ClockWorkMod Recovery really is. Also known as CWM it is a custom recovery for Android phones and tablets that allows you to perform several advanced recovery, restoration, installation and maintenance operations. Therefore, you will be able to back up the EVO much easier, flash custom ROMs, make changes in the default settings, or delete partitions. Another thing that needs to be known is that if you are looking forward in getting CyanogenMod than you must have the ClockWorkMod Recovery installed.
Now, the benefits that will come with CWM are, in a few words, some new features, which of course will improve the HTC EVO smartphone; I will mention just a few of them, so you can explore the others by yourself: the hard reset feature, installing a .zip custom ROM from the SD card, or the theme manager which will allow you to personalize the phone by your one taste. As you can see CWM can be very useful, being a must have tool.
Before I will start with the proper guide here is what you need to do before completing the steps below. First of all, back up the EVO as the process will wipe the data from it. Then, you will use a computer, where you will download some tools, and an USB drive. On the computer, fastboot must be installed. It is coming with the ADB or the Android SDK and you can install it from our previous guides -> install the Android SDK on Windows or, the ADB on MAC / Linux. After completing this you should be prepared to get the CWM.
How to install ClockWorkMod Recovery on HTC EVO (Sprint)
- Download and also install the ROM Manager app, located on the Android Market.
- Open the tool and select “Flash ClockWorkMod Recovery”.
- Select the phone model and allow it root permission.
- After the process is done press OK.
- That’s it.
- Install ClockWorkMod Recovery on LG G2X (how to-CWM guide)
- How to install ClockWorkMod Recovery on Nexus S [ CWM guide ]
- Install ClockworkMod Recovery on Nexus One (how to- CWM guide)
- How to install ClockWorkMod Recovery on HTC Desire GSM / CDMA
- How to install ClockWorkMod Recovery on Motorola Droid with RSD Lite