As you may already know, last week, on April 21, Verizon had officially released the Android 2.2 Froyo update for the Samsung Fascinate handset. Also, many users who had tried to install the update had complained that the downloading process failed somewhere on the road. It seems that Verizon is having some important issues with this update, which are yet unfixed. So, if you are one of the Samsung Fascinate users who are having difficulties in installing the OS update, don’t worry as below you have detailed the solution that fixes all issues.
The Verizon Samsung Fascinate was released last year, offering an alternative for the Droid lineup. Also, the Fascinate is like Galaxy’s S little brother for Verizon, so many users were interested in getting one for themselves. The smartphone come with the Android 2.1 pre-installed, but with the promise of a future OS update. Therefore, Verizon is offering the software upgrade since Thursday last week. The thing is that there are some issues with Fascinate’s Froyo update and not everyone can enjoy it. I have to say that I’m not surprised, considering that the OS update originally failed and every phone from the Galaxy S line was having problems receiving it.
Therefore, if you are receiving errors like “UPDATE FAILED” or “INCOMPLETE”, for reasons such as “IP_PREVIOUS_UPDATE_FAILED”, then your Fascinate is having troubles with the Froyo OS. Below, I have tried to show you how to fix Verizon’s Samsung Fascinate Froyo update issues in a step by step guide. If you consider that you can’t handle it, then take the handset to Verizon’s retails, or just wait until they manage to fix the bugs. Also, you should take a look here, where you can ask for solution in a specialized forum. This forum is my source too, so you have nothing to lose, or be afraid of.
But before I begin with the guide, let us talk a little bit about this update. User’s opinions are divided, some are saying that there are many gaps with Froyo and some are pleased after installing it. It seems that the battery life is significantly lower with Froyo, but there are more apps available and the speeds are increased. In the picture above you have all the features added in the Verizon Samsung Fascinate Froyo upgrade and all the important details. If you choose to make the OS update, which I recommend you to do, then take a look over the steps below.
How to fix Verizon’s Samsung Fascinate Froyo update issues
- I recommend you to back up your data, if that is possible
- Now, download Samsung’s USB drivers from here, followed by the Samsung Fascinate D101Rom download
- After this, you must download, from the same location, Odin3. After you take it, run it
- You will have to change the phone to its download mode. In order to do that power it down, remove the battery and plugging in the phone via USB. It has to be a direct connection to the PC, so don’t use a USB Hub
- Now, press and hold the volume down button, so the download screen is displayed. Connect to Odin, like in the image below, select PDA and browse for the Fascinate ROM you downloaded (it might be DI01package3.tar). Select it and then press “start”
- The original Samsung ROM will be now installed. Also, the phone memory will be formatted, so be sure that you made a backup
- When finished, reboot the phone without removing the battery
- When it starts again, you will have to download a 10MB file, which is an OS update
- After all these, you can download and install the Froyo OS update again and hopefully all will work just fine