As you may already know, there are many ways in which you can install the ClockworkMod Recovery on a Motorola Cliq handset; but which one is the best? Well, you can choose between the so cold “classic method”, by using the ROM Manager (from the Android Market), or you can learn the manual variant. From my experience, I can tell you that the Manager isn’t always working, therefore the manual operation is more recommended. This is why, during this guide, I will teach you how to manually install the ClockworkMod Recovery custom image on your Motorola Cliq.
Anyway, first you should know if your phone needs/or not the CMR image flashed. The main aspect is that you have to get CMR if you are looking forward in powering up the performances of your Cliq, by getting the CyanogenMod ROM. You can tell from here that this operation is no longer an option for you. Then, a custom image will offer you more access and “power” over the handset. It will now be finally “unchained” from the well-known factory restrictions, which are more than unpleasant. Also, you will be able to change and customize the Cliq operating system and have access its internal system.
As you can see, the reasons for learning how to install ClockworkMod Recovery are numerous. Therefore it is your job to do it how it should. The process is easy to understand and to complete; there are some steps that you need to follow and that’s all. You will have to download an app and type some commands in terminal, therefore you should be done in just a few minutes. So, you will need a computer where you will download the tool and the Motorola Cliq USB cord. Don’t worry, you have all this detailed and explained below.
But, in order to make an background idea about this concept, here is what you need to know: ClockWorkMod Recovery (or just CWM) is a custom recovery for Android phones/ tablets that allows you to perform several advanced recovery, restoration and maintenance operations (hard reset capabilities, install a .zip custom ROM from the SD card, backup in an easier way, change the menu bar, icons and the phone theme and so on). A custom image will replace the stock recovery with a new one that will be more “open” to changes and improvements in order to power up the performances of your device.
Another aspect you need to consider is that you can’t install ClockworkMod Recovery, unless you have a rooted Motorola Cliq. If not, check our previous posts and see how to do that too. Then, you will void your Motorola warranty, so if you’re not comfortable with this you should probably stop here. If something goes wrong, you are on your own. The process will wipe the data out from the phone, therefore I recommend you to backup the Cliq data, contacts, messages, apps and everything else.
Also, in order to succeed on the PC, the fastboot must be installed. How do you get this? Well, simple: it is coming once you’ve got the ADB or the Android SDK. In our previous how to guides you can find all the details needed in order to install the Android SDK on Windows or, the ADB on MAC / Linux. It is important for you to know that these tools will be helpful in the future as well (for different operations), so it is recommended to have them.
I will explain how to install ClockworkMod Recovery on Motorola Cliq in two ways: using the ROM Manager and manually. The ROM is quicker, but it doesn’t work all the time. Choose the variant you prefer the most. If anything goes wrong, or if you are having problems in understanding my explanations, share the issues with us, so we can help you through.
How to install ClockworkMod Recovery on Motorola Cliq
- The manual method:
- First, download the latest version of the ClockworkMod Recovery.
- After that, put the ClockworkMod Recovery file to the same folder as adb (above you have all the details needed in order to get ADB).
- Connect the handset with the computer by using the USB cord.
- Toggle on USB Debugging (Settings-> Applications->Development).
- On the PC, open terminal (Start->Run->cmd); then navigate to the Android SDK Tools folder.
- Now you can type the commands from the image:
- That’s all; ClockworkMod Recovery should be installed on the Motorola Cliq.
- Using the ROM Manager:
- Search for the ROM on the Android Market. Download and install the software.
- Open the tool.
- Select “Flash ClockworkMod Recovery”.
- Click on Motorola Cliq and then give the app root permission if it prompts you.
- If anything goes wrong, close the app and then redo the steps 2, 3 and 4.
- When it succeeds, on the display you should see the message: “Successfully flashed ClockworkMod recovery!”. Hit “OK”.
- How to install ClockworkMod Recovery on Motorola Cliq XT (Quench)
- How to install ClockWorkMod Recovery on Motorola Droid with RSD Lite
- How to install CyanogenMod 7 on Motorola Cliq (CM7 guide)
- How To Manually Install ClockworkMod Recovery on HTC Droid Incredible 2
- Install ClockWorkMod Recovery on LG G2X (how to-CWM guide)